The castle was built in 1482 for the newly ennobled Barão de Alvito and is located in the centre of the small southern Alentejo town which typifies the region. The castle architecture is a combination of a Moorish influence with military defence in mind, blended together with the fact that it was to become a permanent home of an aristocratic. During the previous centuries the Kings and Queens of Portugal were often recorded as being visitors but in 1834 the castle was taken by rebelling Liberal forces. The castle was from then allowed to fall into neglect and generally forgotten. The influence of the Bragança Foundation in the last century rescued it from its plight and now it is converted into an attractive Pousada. There are twenty rooms a restaurant and bar and for the convenience of guests there is a swimming pool in the castle grounds.
The town is approximately 148 kms from Lisbon Airport.