This Pousada is located in Almeida only 17 kilometres from the border with Spain and the frontier town of Vila Formosa. The local town of Almeida was defended by a five-point star fortress designed by the French in 1641. Almeida was recognised by the Spanish as to belonging to Portugal in 1297, but since then it has been a history of conflicts between the Portuguese, Spanish, French and English. A French shell caused the gunpowder held in the castle to be ignited and destroyed the main structure. General Wellington used the fort as his base before the battle of Messana. The remains of all these conflicts are still well worth visiting. There are twenty rooms in the Pousada and one suite, with a good restaurant and bar.
The Pousada is approximately 233 kms from Porto Airport.